However, this week, there was a small difference. This week the Tuesday night also meant turning on the TV and watching the infamous State of Union Address.
Sitting in front of the TV and watching the SOTU address became a normal routine during my high school and college years and the first few after I graduated. Those were the years that I was more interested in politics. It probably didn't help that I was a public policy major in college. Watching the SOTU was not just something that I did, but something that I had to do. Homework assignment. Paper writing would begin the next day.
Since my days of policy research and congressional interning are long over, I have not always watched the speech. I have always read it the following day though. But since I was stuck inside and no other options to watch on TV, I tuned in.
I mean, come on, Willie from Duck Dynasty was even in the gallery. That was something worth seeing.
So I tuned in, pulled up my Facebook feed and curled up with Calvin and Hobbes. And off course, watched the snow come down outside the window.
I listened, I laughed, I cheered and I even cried. I won't talk about the politics behind which parts I cheered for and which parts I laughed at. Most of you know which side of the line I support. But politics aside, the story of the Veteran that has overcome such horrific injuries tugged at my heart. All men and women who sacrifice so much to make sure that we, as Americas, are safe will always have a special place in my heart.
And then Wednesday morning, I awoke to a winter wonderland. The yard, car and roads were covered in snow.
| My neighbor had to go to work. Those are his tire tracks. |
![]() |
| The picture of the patio, the one I was mocked for by my brother. |
Since the area was white and cold, I did what many others did, I called our company's inclement weather number, heard the message I was hoping to hear, fed the cats, snapped a few pictures and crawled back into bed.
I spent most of the day reading, did some laundry and I even made a snowman.
![]() |






No comments:
Post a Comment