Tuesday, January 14, 2014

A Really Good Day

I had a really good day yesterday at work.   And I know right.  Who says that they had a good day at work.  Well I do.  I actually really love my job.  I love where I work.  I love what we do.  And I love my co-workers.   

As many of you know I am an claims adjuster for a commercial insurance carrier.   I basically handle claims involving people that are injured while at or participating in programming involving one of our policy holders.

I have been working on this claim since the incident occurred in late 2012.   A lawsuit was filed and yesterday the matter was heard by a judge.  It was just a bench trial meaning there was no jury.  Just the judge, the injured party, and the attorney that I had hired to speak on behalf of our policy holder.     I didn’t have to go to the trial, which was nice considering it was in the Northeast.  And since I can’t stand the cold,  I got to stay in my nice warm office drinking a warm beverage while being updated by phone.  

Both sides presented their case and the judged made a decision.  And the decision was that the judge dismissed the case.   He basically said that that the injured party did not go a good enough job of connecting his injury to the incident that occurred at our policy holder’s location.   Since the case was dismissed, I don’t have to pay any money out for the claim.   So chalk up a victory for me.  

Now don’t get me wrong, the insurance company that I work for does not thrive on not paying out claims.  I am a firm believer (as well as my co-workers) that if money is owed because one of our policy holders did something wrong, I (or we) will pay money out.  But when there was no wrong doing, I (and we) will do what I (we) can to defend my (our) policy holders. 

I have been handling insurance claims for years and as I gain experience I get to handle more complicated matters.  Claims that go into litigation is that next level.  And here I am.  This was the first one that I had from start to finish.  This was the first one that I did all on my own.  

In this case, our policy holder did nothing wrong.  They did not cause the individual to get hurt.  Hence why I count it as a victory.  

Now compared to other cases that we handle, this was a very small case.  And since it was just a bench trial, it was a very small trial as well.  But it was still a victory.  And it was my first. 


I don’t like to toot my own horn very often.  But today I am.  I am proud of myself.  And I am proud of my ability and desire to advance.  My work load is changing and the work that I am doing is more challenging.  But I am up for the challenge.        

But this is all new to me.  I never thought of my self as being driven by my career.   I thought that I had given up my career when I married a boy and moved to South Carolina many years ago.  I actually gave up the exact job that I am in now.  However, I am blessed that I have the opportunity to try again. 

I am blessed that even though focusing on my career at this age wasn't in my original game plan.  It is now.  So I am ready.    Let's get this party started.  

No comments:

Post a Comment