So I guess I can't really consider it babysitting, when I volunteer to take D's daughter shopping for the day. Plus, a nine year old really isn't a baby. Unless you count the times when she whines and acts like one. But that is a post for another day.
So back to the topic at hand. With the help of two great girlfriends, I ventured to Streets of Southpoint with a nine year old in tow and the task of buying clothes for church on the to do list over the weekend.
We started out at Chick-fil-la where she ate a whole combo meal. No more kids meals for her. Wow!
I felt very blessed to have two great girlfriends willing to help me tackle my first solo adventure with the 9 year old. Because I do not think I would have survived without a little help. I learned very quickly that 9 year old girls know just what to say to get your nerves up and it was very hard to keep her focused on the task at hand. Plus, it helped to have additional voices of reasons and assistance in finding the right sizes. And I wasn't always the one telling her no.
Thank goodness for the store called Justice. It is a great store for girls that are in between little girls clothes and junior/teen clothing.
The poor thing is really tall and skinny and though she is only nine, she wears pants that are sized 12 slim and some have to be 14's due to the length and then the shirts and dresses have to be 14's for the length as well. And she wears a size 6 women shoe. I can only imagine what she is going to be wearing when she gets older. Before long, she will be borrowing my clothes and shoes. Ouch!
But the great thing about Justice is that the clothes are still designed for girls and have that "girly" look, but are sized better and fit growing girls. They still look young and are appropriate for the most part. There were a few items that I had to draw her attention away from. But that is always going to happen. They have a great selection and even had a pretty good sale going on. Plus I got 40% off my entire purchase by signing up for their mailing list. I think I can handle a little extra spam for 40% off.
Well, at least we were successful in finding clothes that fit and were appropriate for her to wear to church. We were able to find jeggings (jeans that are a combo of jean and leggings), leggings, shirts, cardigans and a dress that can be mixed and matched to create a few different outfits. We had a dressing room full of clothes and she did well trying everything on until we found the right combo of size and cut that worked the best. There were times when I was ready to give up. Especially when it came to finding pants that would fit. I have a new found appreciation of all of the clothes that my mom used to make me. Now I know why would make my clothes instead of trying to find store bought ones for a skinny girl.
She behaved herself for the most part that I even rewarded her with ice cream and a trip to Barnes and Nobles to get a book. Can't complain to much if she wanted a book. I will gladly support her reading efforts.
So I guess this is part of the next step in my process of preparing for my new life. As a whole it was fun to spend time with the girl that will probably be a part of my life for many years to come.
One step at a time. It is going to be an interesting road in learning how to do this whole parenting thing. So until next time.....
No comments:
Post a Comment