Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Let's Just Be Friends

So no girl likes to hear the phrase, "let's just be friends......" come out of a guys mouth.  Normally, I would rather the guy just tell me that they aren't interested and then move on to the next person.

However, in my life right now, having such a friend is maybe just what I need and maybe it is also the foundation of a relationship that may one day grow into something else.  I have always wanted to marry my best friend, and someone can't be your BEST friend unless they are a friend first.

So potential match #1 and I had such a talk.    His life is just a little too busy right now for a serious and committed relationship.  He has a demanding job that requires him to work odd hours plus he has his daughter.   One top of all that, he is in the midst of a custody dispute and neither one of us wants to cause any problems that could jeopardize the life that he wants with his precious child.  

So the other afternoon, while sitting outside and enjoying the awesome weather on that day we decided to just be friends.   And by friends, we actually meant that we wanted to be friends.   We want to still see each other and occasionally have dinner together or meet for drinks.   In particular we made plans to get together for his birthday.    

So tonight that is what we did.  I baked mini chocolate lava cakes, we opened a bottle of wine and sat a watched a movie while enjoying the treats to celebrate his birthday.  

Only time will tell.  Until then, I now know that dating is tough and is full of all kinds of ups and downs, but it is definitely helping me learn how to live, laugh and love all over again starting with a new friend.


No comments:

Post a Comment