Sunday, August 26, 2012

Wow, I'm Tired

So last week was promotion Sunday at The Summit Church.   Since I have been teaching the kindergarten class since last summer, I have developed a bond and relationship with a lot of the kids.   At the Summit, they encourage the teachers to move up with their students.  So last week, I became the 1st grade teacher.  

I was so excited, because that meant not having to learn a whole new set of kid's names.  But that also meant that I didn't have to learn a whole new set of names.  Now, don't get me wrong, I love my kids.  ALL OF THEM.   There are just a few that I love a little differently.  But I know that they are in my class to help me with my patience, with my kindness and my development of disciplinary skills.

The past two weeks, I have averaged 15 kids.  And at least for right now, I  have a co-teacher.   However, I could have 40-50 kids if they all came each week to the same service.   My co-teacher It has been someone different for the past two weeks, but the staff has been working hard to find someone who can help me out every week.

For some reason, it is hard to find people who want to help out with the elementary kids.   Yeah, they aren't as cute, they have attitudes and they have energy (and lots of it).  But they can also read, write (well, we are working on those two items), draw, and think creatively.

But they also wear me out.  I think it has something to do with the aerobic style workout that we get doing the kid worship service.   God says to sing and dance and rejoice in him and boy do we do that to the max.

It also may have to do with the constant talking, jumping back and forth between trains of thoughts and controlling kids getting in and out of chairs and keeping them from crawling up the walls.

But I love my new 1st graders.   They teach me so much each week.  Probably more then I teach them. I would not trade them for the world.  I am so glad that God has put me in that classroom to serve each Sunday.  

Even if that means I come home with crayon all over my face and then take a nap.

So I encourage all of you to find a passion.  Find a way to serve God.   I am sure that it is helping me to learn to live, laugh and love all over again.

No comments:

Post a Comment