Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Earthquake, Power Outage, Hurricane....Oh My!

So this has been an interesting week so far. On Tuesday my office shook, and I mean literally shook. My desk, computer, monitors and the walls. It was actually kind of freaky and lasted about 45 seconds. At first, I thought that I was just imagining it. But when I noticed that I wasn't the only one experiencing it, it helped me to think that I was not going crazy.

After it was over, one of my co-workers joked about it being an earthquake and it wasn't but a few minutes later, that we confirmed that yes it was an actual earthquake. For the next hour or so, it was interesting to listen to all of the phone calls that we all got from friends and family about what everyone felt and the amazement that we had just experienced and survived an earthquake.

Then the fun continued when I arrived home to find out that I had no power at my townhouse. Per a neighbor the power had been out for a while and she had been told that it would be after 8 pm before it would be back on. So I decided to head to a function at church that also just so happened to be serving dinner. Kind of came in handy. Luckily, when I returned home a little before nine, I discovered that the power had been restored.

And now as I sit and check the tracking chart for Hurricane Irene, I wonder if there is a hurricane coming towards me. She can't seem to make up her mind of what direction she wants to take. And that makes me think about my life.

There are times that I know which path I should take, but sometimes that path is not so easy. Then there are the paths that are far more easier and more enjoyable but probably aren't the right ones. And then there are the paths that take me right through a storm and the paths that lead me around them.

But just like a Hurricane there are many factors that can influence my path and help me choose which way to go. Instead of cold fronts and boundary systems, there are friends or family members. Instead of currents or wind shears, there is scripture and prayers. Instead of Mother Nature, there is God.

So whether or not Hurricane Irene comes my direction I know that I will be prepared. That is once I go to the grocery store and stock up on bread and milk. Why, who knows, but us Southerns always make sure we have bread and milk when the weather is the least bit different. I will probably also make sure I have some wine on hand. But it doesn't matter what I have in the pantry or the fridge. I know that I am prepared because of what I have in my heart and mind.

Whether it is an earthquake, a power outage, a hurricane or a divorce. I have what I need to survive and that is all I need in order to learn how to live, laugh and love all over again.

No comments:

Post a Comment