Monday, February 28, 2011

Dream Mapping

While at the beach for girl's weekend, I was introduced to dream mapping by one of the girls that went on the trip. All of us brought magazines and scissors to help with the project. We all sat on the floor, spread and magazines out and placed a piece of blank poster board in front of each. We then spent 15 minutes going through the pile of magazines and tearing out things that made us happy, things we liked, things that appealed to us, etc. At this point, all you were supposed to do was tear things out. Which in and of itself was great therapy. It was fun to sit and rip for awhile.

After the 15 minutes were up, you were supposed to take what you had ripped out and start to trim the pages down and place them on your piece of poster board. Then you spent about 15 minutes or so gluing the pictures, words, phrases, etc. down onto the board. We then took a few minutes and embellished the boards, either with stickers, our name, jewels, etc.

The picture above is my work in progress. The picture below is the final work all framed and ready to hang up on a wall in my apartment. The point is to place the map in a place where you will see it on a regular basis and help remind you of what your dreams are.

As I sit and look at the finished project, I am amazed at what I was able to pull out of my head and interpret as my thoughts and dreams in just 15 minutes. I obviously have the dream of meeting a new guy, buying a home, moving on, creating a new and better me, having fun, having hope, creating something new, giving, saving and most of all living. For once, my life is all about me.

My favorite saying that is on the board is "History isn't made in rear view mirrors." I remember cutting those words from an ad for Cadillac. I will probably never own a Cadillac, but the saying is so fitting for me right now.

I am excited to move on, I am excited to look forward and I can't wait to see what lies ahead. There is no need to look back, just forward.

I think I have really started to learn how to live, laugh and love all over again.

1 comment:

  1. Love that you have it framed and ready to go! It is pretty cool how quickly you can get to your subconscious if you let go, huh?

    ReplyDelete