Sunday, March 2, 2014

Thank You

So this week has been full of lots of emotions.  There has been ups and there have been downs.  However, I did not have to journey through this week by myself.  I am so thankful for all of you that have been "here" to support me ---- This one year mark.

A year ago, I stood in front of the church and gave a similar speech--- Here it is for those that may have missed it:

This will sound more like a speech at the Oscars, but at least I am not standing up here in some fancy ball gown or tux that is way over the top.  But if you are curious as to what I am wearing, just ask me later and I will give you the information.   Even though Mom would be quite pleased that I have on my pearls and pantyhose and that I am not wearing black, well, except for my shoes, but that doesn't count.  

I know that Mom would want me to be the polite Southern girl that she raised me to be and thank everyone.  She would also want me to make sure that I thank you properly.  So I will verbally tell everyone thank you now and I promise that the proper thank you notes will be going out soon.  I found her secret stash and will use each and every one of them.  

Mom will be the first to admit that she never taught me how to cook and takes full responsibility.  She was always more worried about me getting good grades or participating in sports or the arts then to make me stand and watch her cook.    So I have been very appreciative of the meals that have been provided over the past several weeks. 

Dad enjoyed eating them just as much as I did.  But I am sure that our favorites were always the desserts.   It was so nice to not have to worry about what we were going to eat.  All I had to do was open the fridge and pull something out or pop something in the oven to heat it back up.   So thank you to all of you who have brought food over to the house.  

I want to thank everyone for the over 100 cards that you sent or that your children made.  This town is definitely helping keep Hallmark and the United States Postal Service in business.   We shared as many of them as we could with Mom.   Even if she did not completely understand or see them, each one of them was opened or read by one of us.  Your words of encouragement or acknowledgement of prayers went a long way.  

I would like to thank those that offered to come and sit with Mom or came and prayed with her.   I know that we did not allow everyone this privilege but for many of you, I know that it is for the best that you remember Mom the way that she was prior to getting sick. 

I know that many of you always wanted to know what to do.  And for the most part all we could tell you was to pray.   And those prayers were felt.  Those prayers were coveted.  Those prayers were most appreciated.  So thank you for all of the prayers.  

I would like to thank all of my co-workers and friends for all of their support from a distance.  Some of you are here today.   The emails, texts, and Face Book messages were all read.  I know that Mom never really got into all of the technology, but I appreciated it.   I know that I didn't always respond, but they all meant a lot.   

I want to thank all of you who left messages on the Caringbridge site.  I know that many of you appreciated the updates and left notes of encouragements. I also want to thank everyone for the love and support that I got from many of my old friends that live right here.  It has been nice to come home for several weeks and spend time with many of you.  And even though it has been years since the love that bonded all of us together started, it feels like the love has never gone away.  And Mom would be pleased.  

Lastly, I want to thank everyone for coming today.  Mom meant a lot to all of you in different ways.  Whether you taught with her, whether you sang with her, played bells with her, let your children learn from her.  Whether she fed you, sent you a card, or treated you as one of her own, it means a lot to all of us that you are here to remind us of how many lives Mom touched and how much her love spread.  

So from my heart to yours Thank you.  


And just like a did this time last year, I am going to say thank you again. 


There have been messages, phone calls, cards, meals, wine, thoughts and prayers.   And I am so appreciative of all of them from all of you.

From my Redwoods Family, my small group, my friends (both new and old), my family and countless others.... I have had people both near and far provide love and support to me during a week that I was in greatest need.   There always seemed to be a message, a hug, or a person there when I needed it the most.

And for all of that I would like to tell everyone thank you.

The grieving continues but so does the healing.  The crying still happens, but so do the smiles.   The memories are there but the good ones are starting to take over the bad.

I have no idea what the next year holds.  However, I am so glad that I have each and everyone of you in my life.   Thank you for all of your love and support.

No comments:

Post a Comment