So last week, I went with about 9 of my fellow Redwoods Group co-workers to the Ronald McDonald House in Durham to cook dinner. Yeah, I know, I don't cook, hence why I was put in charge of the logistics for the evening. It was my job to make sure that we all stayed on task, that dinner was prepared on time and that everything was set for the families.
However even though I was there to serve others, it was the families that I encountered that ended up serving me.
I learned that the Ronald McDonald house provides a place to stay, meals and the comforts of home for those that have children either in the hospital or seeking treatments at the hospital. For the families there, the Ronald McDonald house in their home for extended periods of time. Many of the families are far from "home" and other family members including spouses and other children.
For many of the families, the dinner that we served would be their only hot meal and probably most wholesome meal of the day.
We cooked chicken alfredo, garlic bread and salad. And one of our other co-workers made a beautiful red velvet cake.
The stories and the heartfelt thanks that we encountered made me learn to think about my house and dinner a lot differently.
I know that I take for granted that I have a home to come home to everyday that includes my own space, my bed, and the other finer things in life like satelitte, DVR, pets, etc.
And even though I am not a big fan of cooking, I now appreciate the idea that I can come home, cook a meal (or watch Donnie cook a meal) and then relax on my couch with no one else around.
However, overall, I am so thankful that my friends and family are healthy and that none of us have to be far away from home or enduring long stays in a hospital.
So as Christmas fast approaches, take time to do something for someone else and I promise that this season will be much more meaningful.
No comments:
Post a Comment