Today is Good Friday. A day for Christians to not only mourn but to celebrate. Yes, I know that it seems odd to want to celebrate a death. But for Christians, death, in particular Christ's death, means so much more.
It is on this day some 2000 years ago that Christ died for us. For me. For You. All because He loved us. He didn't have to. I am sure that God could have stopped it. There was probably someone that could have been bribed. A jail break could have occurred. He could have just run away. But none of those things happened.
Christ took the punishment. He took the beatings. He took the humiliation. He carried the cross. He paid the price for our sins. He took our place.
Christ didn't deserve to die. He hadn't done anything wrong. He was perfect. He was a servant. He was a healer. He was a provider. He was a teacher. But He was also our Savior. He was the Savior that God had sent. A baby that would grow up to be a man. A man that would became a King. And a Savior that we all desperately need.
We are broken. We are in pain. We are sick. We are sinners.
I don't get very spiritual or write "Christianize" (yeah, I know I made up that word) very much but today I feel inspired. This past Tuesday, eight women sat around my kitchen table. These women are part of the community group aka small group aka bible study that meets at my house each week. This week we abandoned the lesson that had been prepared by the church staff and did something different.
We prayed. We ate. We laughed. We enjoyed wine. We shared. And most importantly we loved. Just like Christ's disciples did some 2000 years ago. They gathered to eat... to celebrate the Passover.
We admitted that we are not perfect. We are all in some sort of pain. But one thing that we all have in common is that we know we need Christ.
Several of us will gather again tonight to worship and commune together. We will watch one of our own sing. But more importantly we will celebrate what Easter is all about. Christ's death.
Easter is more then bunnies, baby chicks and chocolate..... well maybe it's okay if I enjoy my Reese's peanut butter eggs a little more then I should, but you get the point. Easter is a time to celebrate. To rejoice.
Maundy Thursday, Good Friday, Easter Sunday (well Saturday for some of us), are all days to be celebrated. Days to rejoice. Days to be so thankful for.
Christ died. Christ is Risen. And all because He Loved.
No comments:
Post a Comment