Sunday, July 13, 2014

Durham Foodie Tour - Stops 1, 2 and 3

So a couple of weeks ago, B and I decided that we were going to embark on a new adventure.... eating our way through Downtown Durham.  There have been all kinds of articles and write ups about the food scene in Durham.  Southern Living even named Durham, "The Tastiest Town in the South".   So we decided it was time to see it for ourselves.

We have explored the different areas of Downtown on foot.  We call it urban hiking.  We have mapped out the places that we want to try.  And we have started out on the adventure.

The first stop was:  Fishmongers Restaurant and Oyster Bar

Yep, a oyster bar in the middle of Downtown Durham, right on Main Street.  They also serve BBQ.  I know --- that is an interesting combination.  But it works.  I got the Fish and Chips and B got the Oyster Po-Boy.   We will probably have to go back when oysters are in season.  I am curious to see where they get their fresh oysters from.   But I know better then to eat them outside of months with "Rs".

They also have several good local beers on tap.

Prices are right.   Casual Atmosphere.  Paper Napkins.   Benches to sit on.  Not a fancy place at all.  Perfect place to grab lunch.

Our second stop was:  The Little Dipper

It is located in Brightleaf Square.   I took pictures on this stop.  It was date night and we were dressed to impress --- B even had on a tie.  We were celebrating and enjoyed our evening together cooking.

They offer a local "919 menu", meaning they have options for each course that are made with locally sourced farm ingredients.  Many of the options are seasonal so you can go multiple times and get to try different things.

Service was wonderful and the staff were very knowledgeable.  It was a little pricey, but well worth it.

Our Cheese Course-- made with local cheese from Chatham County
Main Course - the meats were local too
And you have to have dessert-- yep that's marsh mellow, chocolate and peanut butter melting together

Our third stop was: Tyler's Taproom 

Now, I will admit, I have been to Tyler's on multiple occasions, and it is one of my favorite places to eat in Downtown Durham.  But this was our first stop together for a meal.   We were downtown to check out some of the Minor League All Star game festivities and needed to eat.

We were able to snag a table outside.  B had the Pork Belly sandwich and I had the Old West burger.  Both with their homemade chips and of course a craft beer to wash it all down.

That's one of the best things about Tyler's.  The beer.  They have a separate book for you to look at just to pick a beer.  Love It.

Prices are reasonable.  Great outdoor seating.  Located in the heart of the American Tobacco Historic District.  Right there at the Durham Bulls stadium.  I know for sure that we will be back.

-------

We know that this adventure is going to take a while to complete.  We had no idea Durham had so much to offer --- there are quite a few restaurants to try.   But it is going to be a fun adventure.  Plus, there are all kinds of good beer to be had.   Who knows, B may never drink a Budweiser again.  At least that is my goal.

I will continue to report back and let you know what we think of our meals.   If you ever want to venture out with us, just let me know.

No comments:

Post a Comment