http://www.fox43tv.com/dpps/news/local/fire-destroys-outer-banks-home_5613044
I am not talking a little damage. I am talking total destruction. There was nothing left, well, except for the front porch steps.
You know, the ones, from this picture:
| July 4th 2012 |
D's parents made it out of the house and are fine. However they lost everything. Well, they lost all of their physical possessions. But they are fine and they still have the memories that were made in the house. They still have the love that was fostered there. They still have each other and they still have all of their friends and family members.
They have homeowners insurance, but not everyone is that lucky. Not every one has insurance. More importantly, not every one has a home.
A home means something different to each one of us. For some it is just a roof over your head. For others it is something that you cherish. Maybe it is something that you built yourself. Maybe it is something that you saved a long time for. Maybe is it something that you dreamed about. Maybe it is a house that you grew up in and now own yourself. But a home is more then that.
A home is a place for memories to be made. A home is a place for love to grow. A home is a place to gather with others. A home is a home.
But not everyone can say that they have a home.
So this brings me to the reason why I am writing this post. On Saturday July 27th, I will be participating in a fundraiser for Habitat for Humanity- Durham in honor of D's parents. D's parents don't need anything. They are covered by insurance and have had lots of help from neighbors, family and friends and are currently in the process of rebuilding their home.
However, I want to do something even more meaningful in their honor.
I want to help a family have a home of their own on day. A family that must help build someone else's home before they can buy their own. A family that takes out an affordable mortgage. A family that is in need. A family that needs a place to make memories. A family that needs a place to gather. A family that needs a place that they can fill with love. A family that needs a place to call home.
So I am going to be biking 12 miles to raise funds to raise a roof for a family in need.
Please consider making a donation to Habitat for Humanity.
Click on this link to donate:
http://events.durhamhabitat.org/fundraise?fcid=245826
If you want to join me and ride/walk/run or even volunteer please check out: There are two options a 12 mile bike ride or a 5K walk/run.
http://www.riderunforhabitat.org/
I am part of a bigger team --- my infamous The Redwoods Group. So please consider joining us on supporting such a great organization.
No comments:
Post a Comment