Thursday, January 5, 2012

Thoughtful Thursday


Once again, it is time for another Thoughtful Thursday......
 
A coworker shared this with me today.....

OUR REAL GPS DEVICE  by Todd Clippard

My wife and I both purchased new GPS devices over the Christmas holidays.  For anyone who doesn't know, GPS is an acronym for Global Positioning System. The device receives a signal from a number of satellites and can tell you exactly where you are. GPS devices for automobiles are programmed with maps of all highways and streets as well as various "points of interest" - restaurants, retail stores, schools, even the location of every Baskin Robbins in the country! 

I used my GPS while traveling last week even though I knew the way. Before I left, I entered the church building address and then set off on my journey. The GPS had a specific route in mind, but it wasn't the one I wanted to take. 

Any time I took a street not on the planned route, the GPS would redesign my trip based upon my current location and attempt to get me back on the course it devised. The voice on the GPS would keep saying things like, "Take the next right and then take the second left." At one juncture the device advised, "Turn around at the next opportunity." No matter how far "off course" I got, the device continued to give instructions on how to get back on course. As I continued to ignore the instructions, I halfway expected the GPS to say, "Are you deaf, stubborn, or just stupid?" 

Incidentally, I also have my home address programmed into my GPS. No matter where I am, I can select "Navigate to Home" and it will chart a course and guide me home. 

As I was making the journey I got to thinking, "the Bible is also a GPS" -- a Godly Positioning System. Think about it - no matter where you are in your life or spirituality, the Bible can tell you exactly where you are. Furthermore it can tell you where you need to be and how to get there. 

Unfortunately, many treat the Bible just like I treated my GPS. Some refuse to hear the Bible's instructions, choosing to turn a deaf ear to its pleas and pursuing their own chosen course (Acts 7:57). Others stubbornly reject the message they hear to turn right, turn left, or turn around (Jeremiah 6:16). Still others are just plain foolish, refusing to handle aright the word of truth (2 Timothy 2:15) while heaping to themselves ear-scratching teachers (2 Timothy 4:3-4). 

Finally, no matter where you are, the Bible can tell you how to get home. 

Ultimately, this is the message of Hebrews 11. All the great men and women in this "Faith's Hall of Fame" understood that only by hearing and obeying God's word would they end up at their heavenly   destination: "These all died in faith, not having received the promises, but having seen them afar off, and were persuaded of them, and embraced them, and confessed that they were strangers and pilgrims on the earth. . . . But now they desire a better country, that is, an heavenly: wherefore God is not ashamed to be called their God: for he hath prepared for them a city" (Hebrews 11:13, 16 KJV).
Are you navigating toward home? 

If you are unsure as to your present course, please consult your Divine GPS (1 Timothy 4:16). 

No comments:

Post a Comment